17 Jun 2011

GM wheat planted, on shelves by 2015 says Government

This year's GM wheat trials have begun, with plantings in the ACT, NSW and WA and claims by the Federal Government that Australians will be eating GM bread by 2015.

GM wheat will be planted in field trials across Australia this year, and our government science body, the CSIRO, plans to have GM bread on supermarket shelves by 2015. This year's field trials are scientific scale trials, which means most are under one hectare in size. But if CSIRO suceeds with their plan for Australia to become the first country in the world to approve GM wheat, we could be facing large-scale commercial field trials of GM wheat within the next two years.

That means two things; global biotech patents on our daily bread, and inevitable contamination of Australian farmers' conventional and organic wheat crops.
Read article And take action!

I am so happy that since a few months I bake my own sourdough bread and I can source GM free wheat flour so at least I know what is in my bread! It's special to keep the sourdough starter alive in the fridge :)

2 comments:

  1. I am really shocked. I don't want to have GM food as its going to affect me and also my children!

    if basic thing such bread is "manufactured" what is free and pure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it gets pretty scary, but I assume that all those people eating prossessd crap from jars and boxes don't care what food consistence is in it and don't mind if it's grown GM... that's even more scarier.

    I am lucky to know what healthy food is!

    ReplyDelete