21 May 2009

Chooks

Since we live here we have two chooks, I've saved them from a chickenfarm in Baldavis that's why they have cut beaks. We became good friends, me and the chooks. Now I really miss them as the last chook died six weeks ago. In the mean time I have two young bantams of which one seems to be a rooster instead of a hen. Which is not allowed by the council, I can have 12 chickens but no rooster... So I have to find a new chook to keep her company and we have to eat the rooster unless he can be adopted by someone in the hills...
The library at Claremont is hatching little chicks at the moment of which I can hopefully get a few afterwards.

Chooks are very easy to keep, they need some closed in space in the garden with a pen for the eggs and some sticks to sit on. They like to scratch and take sand baths so they need access to sand. To feed them is easy, all green waste from the kitchen is going into the pen as well as bread crumbs and left overs from dinner together with fresh water and some laying pellets on the side. They provide you with fresh eggs and manure in return.
The only green waste they don't like is tea and coffee which is an ideal compost for the garden and lemons which you can use for candied peel and other goodies.


Interested? Get some info on Treehugger or check out the local Chook Lady

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm so jealous of you keeping chooks. I grew up with a flock in the backyard and miss having them around. Our place is too small to have them, according to the council :(

    ReplyDelete