22 Mar 2012

Butterflies

When I was about 7, in the 1970's, my family went on a walking holiday. On one walk we strolled across a meadow where lots of butterflies flew up around us - blue, orange, white, red, brown - it was wonderful - I loved it and expressed my pleasure as only a 7 year old can - by rushing around dancing in pure joy.

My grandfather (bless him) made a comment that really made me stop and think - he said,

"This is nothing! When I was your age, the sky was filled with butterflies at this time of year - not just a couple of dozen - thousands and thousands - clouds of them for weeks on end."

Our experience of the world only goes back as far as our earliest memory - but our understanding can reach back further if we listen to our elders.
Heather White

No comments:

Post a Comment