20 Oct 2008

Pedal power the way to be green, fit and free

Are you cycling to work or school/university?
I DO! Even today when it was pretty hot, I cycled the almost 20 kilometers to Curtin University. Luckily they have facilities to shower and I ride a sturdy Dutch bicycle with bags on the back so I don't have to carry a sweaty backpack. This gives me some disadvantage in speed compared to the sporty racers who pass me all the time, but hey, I do it for my fitness because if I take public transport (which I do when it rains) it takes the same amount of time.


Cycling is the fourth most popular physical activity for Australian adults, after walking, swimming and aerobics. More than 400,000 Australian adults cycle more than twice a week, but it's mostly for exercise rather than transport. Although bike commuting has increased by 22 per cent since 2001, less than 1 per cent of journeys are by bike. In relatively flat Melbourne, where bike commuting is up 42 per cent since 2001, there are still only 20,000 people riding regularly to work.
Read article

No comments:

Post a Comment