11 May 2010

Food inc.

I just saw the movie Food inc. and I am sure you want to see it too after watching the trailer!

Watch trailer here

In Food, Inc., filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that has been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. We have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop, herbicide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go bad, but we also have new strains of E. coli—the harmful bacteria that causes illness for an estimated 73,000 Americans annually. We are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults.

3 comments:

  1. Michelle Watson12.7.10

    Fantastic movie - saw it yesterday. I felt very empowered by both this movie and Fresh as well. Brought out the activist in me and has started the ball rolling on things that I can do as a consumer to help halt the big corporations taking over our food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's scary to know that it is so hard to make a good choice when going to buy dinner... Australia should have more rules on food labeling to make it easier.
    That's why I avoid processed food wherever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen a lot of movies lately as aresult of health challenges. First I was lactose intolerant and then gluten etc. Luckily I decided to get a 3rd opinion. Having lost 60 lbs and getting my health back I am a big advocate for healthier living. I even have a challenge for others. Is this something you might be interested in?

    ReplyDelete