3 Aug 2013

Surfing paradise has a serious trash problem

Zak Noyle's remarkable photos illustrate how disgusting it can be in some parts of Indonesia; 'I kept thinking I would see a dead body of some sort'

It could be said that the waves were perfect on a recent morning at a remote location in Java, in southern Indonesia.

Perfect, except for the appalling amount of trash and other debris, which transformed the typically amazing experience of getting barreled into one that left both surfer and photographer feeling nauseated.

“It was crazy. I kept seeing noodle packets floating next to me,” said Zak Noyle, the photographer. “It was very disgusting to be in there; I kept thinking I would see a dead body of some sort for sure.” Read article

1 comment:

  1. Had to look closely to see if this pic was real - unfortunately it is. I remember years ago when Kuta beach at Bali was a plastic nightmare but over time has been cleaned up, mainly due to increasing the locals awareness that it's a problem that needs to be tackled. In this remote area without much population, fixing the ocean pollution will be a bigger challenge. From the pic of the boat it looks like heaps of plastic could just be netted from the calm waters.

    ReplyDelete