23 Jun 2008

Reveries

Yesterday, while walking around Lake Claremont, it struck me again that I haven't seen the long-neck turtles at all this year.
What happened to them? There used to be so many... all of them coming to the little wooden structure at the edge when people gathered there in the hope to get some food? I've never given any as I know that's not healthy, and I really hope they are not coming because nobody gave them food so they are still around somewhere in the water... But actually I am afraid these little ancient creatures are not that abundant anymore...

The same for the ringnecks, or 28Th's, who used to come to our pond in the front yard bathing and having fun in the water. I haven't seen them for years but there are heaps of rainbow lorikeets screeching and having a bath. They even win it from the much bigger ravens who are desperate in summer to get a bit of water as well...

What about the frogs we used to have in the garden, I miss the sound at night, especially at certain times of the year when they are mating. Since last week I've got some little froglets from a friend in the garden, the area is protected by mesh to keep them in and predators out, I hope they survive!

While running up the sand dune to Swanbourne Beach I used to see bobtails but I haven't seen any for a long time....

What's happening to the wildlife around us?

And I am only living here for four years....

No comments:

Post a Comment