15 Aug 2008

Airlines cut packaging and paperwork to lose weight and reduce fuel costs

I already knew about the extra seat for obese people but now they are even cutting back on sachets and shaving millimetres off cutlery. It's a good thing they replace the catering trolleys with lightweight versions and Emirates is looking to replace all in-flight printed material with on-screen electronic information.

BA spends more than pound stg. 8 million ($17 million) a day on fuel and this year its fuel bill will be well over pound stg. 3 billion. On a typical long-haul flight, catering equipment and food weighs six tonnes. A spokesman for BA said fuel costs were a massive consideration when looking at ways to make its aircraft lighter.

Read article

2 comments:

  1. Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, there is a way to subscribe by clicking in the right hand bar, scroll a bit down, on Followers. This function will probably give you a sign when I post, which is almost daily. There is no way to do this via email I guess.

    ReplyDelete