24 Mar 2009

Lifting the lid on leftovers

AUSTRALIANS love their food. Strangely enough, we also love throwing it out. According to a 2005 study by the Australia Institute, Australians bin a staggering $5.3 billion of food a year, including $630 million of uneaten takeaway, $876 million of leftovers and $241 million of frozen food. In my mother's day, that would have made an awful lot of bubble'n'squeak. It seems in the 21st century, though, we can imagine no better use for this food than as landfill.

"When people or restaurants throw away their food, they also waste all the resources, fuel and energy that went into getting that food from paddock to plate," chef Kylie Kwong says. "I use a lot of rice in my cooking but I need to be careful with how much I cook, because if I throw out a kilo of white rice, I'm also wasting the 2385 litres of water that it took to grow that rice."
Read article

Unfortunately there are heaps of laws in WA based on health and safety which prevents food stores and restaurants to do something useful with their leftovers... Even to be used as scraps for chooks is forbidden...apparently

No comments:

Post a Comment