30 Nov 2007

LPG

Before I came to Australia I always drove a car on LPG. In Australia I cycle and take the train or combine these. But you need a car here if you want to go a bit further than the city, special when you like to go camping in the bush. So we finally decided to converse the petrol car into LPG and it's very beneficial because you get a Government rebate up to 2000 $ and are eligible for a State grant of 1000 $. This covers almost all costs!
The only disadvantage I remember from driving LPG was the smell of the LPG on your hands after closing the pump. It always sprayed a bit on my hands; a nasty fart smell. I never understood why they didn't add a fresh pine smell or something like that, because LPG is odorless and the smell is added so you can detect it in case of leakage.
Driving with a gas tank in your car is as safe as driving with petrol, even in The Netherlands some people were afraid of LPG tanks, but there is no reason for it. I had a bad car accident in 1991, someone crosses the road were I was on (I drove 80) and the driver hadn't seen me and I couldn't brake in time so we had a collision, the gas tank, which was installed behind the front seats, (I had a two seater) came loose a bit and pushed me into the steering wheel but nothing happened. Yes, I had a huge scar on my forehead (nicely repaired by some plastic surgeon) and a soar back for months. The car was total loss, it was a dark blue one, my next car was a bright purple one (so everyone would see it from far) and the first thing I did was installing LPG!

No comments:

Post a Comment