22 Oct 2007

Gardening


During winter our patio tiles were covered with weeds and last weekend I had the great plan to get rid of them. And because I avoid all poison I started the tiring manual job of cleaning the tiles. Until I remembered my mother pouring hot water from boiled potatoes on the weeds at our farm garden in Holland. So I boiled a few kettles of water for the hardy parts and poured it on the weeds. It smelled like boiling vegetables but nothing much seemed to happen. Untill a few days later, the weeds were yellow, dried out and easy to remove or sweep away. The patio looks well maintained now!
This is my environmental friendly gardening tip for today. Do you have any?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous23.10.07

    I use boiling water on our weeds too! It really does work well, although you have to avoid splashing any plants you want to keep.

    We also put coffee grounds around our vegie patch - it deters the snails for a while, but you have to keep adding the coffee as it breaks down over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does tea helps as well? I don't drink coffee...

    ReplyDelete